Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Kam Fook Bondi

The popularity of Yum Cha has come such a long way. I went to a primary school of 200 people where for the longest time there were only 3 Asians who attended. Kids can be so mean, to fit in I would try hide my lunch whenever Mum gave me rice, dumplings or sushi rather than a sandwich like everyone else. The kids at school also thought that yum cha was 'weird' and I remember the disgust on their faces (during international day) when they were told the Chinese ate chicken feet. It wasn't till I was older that I began to really appreciate and embrace my culture.
Last Saturday we went for yum cha at Kam Fook at Bondi, despite the 30 minute wait there was a long line. I began to look around and to my surprise the ratio of Asian diners to that of other nationalities was about the same. I was so glad to see that the times have changed.


Still reception venue hunting


Pai Gwut (pork) with garlic, black bean & chilli, Gai Lan with oyster sauce


Siu Mai, Har Gow (prawn dumplings)
The siu mai was delicious, they were big in size and contained a good mixture of meats.


Chinese beef meat balls with vinegar, Rice with a meat & mushroom filling wrapped in a leaf and Steamed

Not pictured is the Char-siu buns and egg tarts that we had (I was so busy eating that I forgot to take photos). The total bill for 8 dishes came to $54.95 which leans towards the expensive side for yum cha in Sydney. I'm not sure what they charge for the tea but 8 dishes for $55.00 averages just under $7.00 per dish. For yum cha regulars you will find that Kam Fook Bondi contains a big selection of different dumplings but not so much the traditional dishes like tripe, congee or chicken feet etc.

The place is bright and modern and the seating is comfortable. Parking is free for the first 2 hours at Westfield Bondi Junction.

Kam Fook Bondi
Shop 6010, Level 6,
Westfield Shopping Centre
Joo Oxford Street
Bondi Junction
Phone: (02)9386 9889

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know that you have gone through your childhood unscathed. I went to all-boys school from yr 6 to 12, and believe me, it wasn't easy, especially when Asians were the minority in school.

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, forgot to put "some dude" as the identity of the person putting up the comment.

PiCkLeS said...

Jas: hahha not just the minority I lived down near the Shire so I was like the only Asian! But it was a great little school I loved it to bits and still miss it when I think of it.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say the same thing. I don't miss high school days at all. Don't have a lot of happy memories from yr 6 to 12. Fortunately, things finally got better when I started uni. -_-