Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Breakfast that went on forever and ever....

What: ANZAC day breakfast
Where: Kazbah Balmain

We've been to Kazbah before and I've always said that I would love to try their breakfast set menu, so when Sarah organised a breakfast on ANZAC day I was quick to jump at the chance.

Breakfast Set Menu
$20 per guest (8 guests or more) plus 10% surcharge on public holidays.

We had a booking for 12 at 11:30am, our group wasn't seated till 1 hour later. The staff offered us free coffees and hot chocolate as compensation.

Coffees

The Menu
The first 3 items came out very quickly

Sweet Couscous with Nuts, Dried Fruits, Stewed Rhubarb and Cardamom Milk


Date & Banana Porridge, Stewed Rhubarb
Warm Rice Pudding, Saffron Poached Pear, Cinnamon and Hazelnuts

I really enjoyed the rice pudding, it had just the right sweetness and the pear made it nice and light. The couscous was a little unusual, the texture was moist and the flavour was sweet and nutty, I think I would need to have this dish again before I can decide if I like it or not.

We polished the first 3 items and eagerly waited for the next few dishes to arrive....we waited and waited in fact it took about 2 hours (yes 2 hours!) before the hot food came out.


Eggs & Sides
Poached, Scrambled and Fried On Turkish Toast


Merguez Sausage, Bacon, Roasted Tomato, Hash Brown, Mushrooms, Halloumi, Spinach




Breakfast Tagines

Lamb Mince, Sucuk, Feta, Spinach, Roast Capsicum, Caramelised Onion, Roast Tomato, Eggs

Pumpkin, Feta, Spinach, Roast Capsicum, Caramelised Onion, Roast Tomato, Eggs



As great as the hot food looked, the first 3 dishes had settled in my stomach and I no longer felt hungry. As a result I don't think that I could really give an honest review on how the food was on this particular day.


Lemon and rose water frappe


Pancakes
Banana and Strawberry with Maple Syrup and Double Cream

Chocolate and Raspberry with Butterscotch Sauce and Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream

I did have a slice of each pancake and the Banana and Strawberry with Maple Syrup and Double Cream was just delicious! The chocolate pancake was a bit rich for me and I felt that the butterscotch sauce overpowered the rest of the dessert.

'Breakfast' finally ended at 3:30pm (the pancakes came out at about 3:15) we were here for a total of 4 hours! Despite the wait, the staff was excellent and I think that they felt really bad about everything taking so long. After the bill was paid they apologised again and handed Sarah an envelope; they told her it was a voucher for next time. It wasn't till we were halfway home that we realised the voucher was for $100.

Breakfast - Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays 9am - 3pm
Lunch - Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays 12pm - 3pm
Dinner - Wednesday to Saturday 6pm - Late

Kazbah on Darling
379 Darling Street
Balmain, 2041
Sydney - Australia
Phone (02) 9555 7067

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the breakfast that turned into a brunch/lunch/dinner. Good times though!