Sunday, April 22, 2007

Chinese Noodle Restaurant + Eminence

I don’t think many people know this but around 14 years ago this restaurant use to be located at Kings Cross. Back then there weren’t as many Asian noodle houses around so we would go out of our way to eat their food. I don’t think that business was too good and the original owner sold the business to his friend who brought the restaurant out to the city.

Back in the day this little restaurant was a 2 person show; the owner would do all the cooking and spend every spare moment making hand made noodles by the window. His wife stood outside taking orders, clearing dishes and collecting money.

Fast forward 14 years the reputation of this place has exploded – SMH, Good Food Guide, you name it! The owner no longer works in the kitchen (you can see him standing at the door in the photo above). Instead he now employs 5 people in the kitchen and a further 4 on the floor (all in the same tiny space).

I’d have to say that the quality of food isn't as good as it use to be, but when the lines outside is a few metres long that is to be expected.


Pan fried dumplings with pork & chives $8.50


Xingjing fried hand made noodles with Lamb (my favourite dish here) $8.50, Jellyfish salad

This place is a great place for a cheap eat with dishes no more than $10. Be warned that the restaurant is squashy (you may even find yourself sharing a table with strangers) however, this is only a small price to pay for great food.

Chinese Noodle Restaurant
Shop TG7, Prince Centre
8 Quay Street Haymarket
Ph: 02 9281 9051

After dinner Jacky and I rushed off to Town Hall to watch Eminence - A night in Fantasia. Eminence is basically a full orchestra that attempts to change people's perceptions of symphonic music by playing music from popular anime (i.e. Japanese Cartoons) and video games. This is also an attempt to encourage young people to move away from their computers and watch music being played live.

To be honest I was a bit skeptical at first, I've never been to a concert like this and I was worried that I would get really bored. Jacky on the other hand was extremely excited especially when he found out that music from his beloved World of War Craft was to be performed.

In all the years that I have lived in Sydney I've never been inside the Town Hall, upon entering I was astounded by it's beauty. We sat right in the middle and had a great view of the performers.

Composers and guest musicians from Japan was also introduced to the audience throughout the night. Their speeches were very cute!

I thought that the concert was wonderful and enjoyed every moment. I have a new found appreciation for all the talented musicians and their instruments and secretly wish that I knew how to play something too. My favourite piece of the night had to be Super Mario brothers, it brought back so many memories!

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Bonnie and Friends for the free tickets, it was very generous of you all especially for such a small favour - Thank you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily, I had no idea that you liked that little noodle shop as well! During school holidays Kylie and I used to regularly meet Mum there for lunch and it was ALWAYS packed. My favourite dish is the 'jar jerng mien'.

Glad you and Jacky liked the concert and I hope the seats were ok since I didn't get a chance to check where they were. Sorry I couldn't come out and meet you, people were going crazy with buying merch! XD Hope to see you at our next concert (whenever that is)!

P.S. I'm SO surprised you've never been in the Sydney Town Hall before! Hehe =P

Student154 said...

that noodle resturant is GANGSTA! with the rugs on the wall and ish! haha. gotta love cheap food!

reverendtimothy said...

Ehhhhh.... Trying to persuade people to listen to Classical music by playing Pop music with an Orchestra is like trying to teach someone Algebra with Sesame Street.

That's fucked up. We had something similar in Adelaide where the ASO played Tool and Radiohead songs. I was interested to go for novelty value, but that's about it.

Funny I should read this now, as I was just listening to Rossini a moment ago (while playing Crazy Taxi, haha!)

Anonymous said...

I was there for their very 1st concert. Back then, they has just formed. The 1st concert they held played a lot of songs from old-school anime (e.g. Totoro, Laputa, etc), and my favourite, the Final Fantasy series. They also had a honourary guest, Nobuo Uematsu.

Most people wouldn't know who this person is, but for those who has played a lot of games from the FF series (perhaps Jacky might have) would know, he's the composer / producer of almost all the music from all the games in the FF series!

I remembered I was waiting in line to get in, then I saw a group of people walking pass, one of them was Nobuo Uematsu himself! A friend of a friend managed to get me his autograph too. I'll never forget that night.

As for WoW music, I managed to extract those music from the actual game itself. Hahaha