Friday, August 25, 2006

Varekai

Tonight along with Jacky, Sophia and Mum we headed to The Entertainment Quarter to watch Varekai - Cirque Du Soleil. We got there a little early so that we could grab a bite to eat before the show started. To my absolute delight there was a little food fair that had been set up right next to the tent, so we gave The Fox & Lion a miss and went to see what the fair had to offer.

There was the usual chocolate coated strawberries and sugar coated nuts

But I got really excited when I saw this unusual little stand that had a radio pumping out jungle beats - "A Taste of Ethiopia" the sign read.

The smell coming from the store was awesome, you have the option of vegetarian (mixed vegetables or lentils) or meat (i.e chicken) but after having a chat with the store operator he suggested that a little bit of everything was best. So I decided to give it a try.

The bread is folded in a special way with a different item in each layer, this is then topped off with a yellow sauce and finished with a dash of 'home made spicy sauce' and fresh chilli with ginger on the side.
Verdict: The texture of the bread is a little soggy as the sauce seeps right through. However when you reach the filling, the bread combined with the chicken/vegetables and lentils is really nice. If I had to compare it to something, it would be similar to some Indian curries but with less fire. The bread and fresh ginger really makes this dish unique.

I wasn't finished....I hadn't had gozleme since what felt like forever! so I had to buy one to settle my craving. At $8.50 I found the beef, spinach and fetta gozleme to be a little pricy, it also lacked the flavour that usually draws me to this dish.
At 8:00pm we filed into the big tent and took our seats, I was bursting with excitement! The set looked amazing and my seat was smack bang in the middle 7-8 rows from the front. This was my first Cirque Du Soleil experience, in other years I spent money on travel or had to pay for tickets to watch the The Lion King. After such a long wait my expectations were extremely high.

All I can say is wow, wow, wow WOW!! It was a show that managed to evoke every emotion possible. The dance by Varekai at the beginning was absolutely stunning! and was my favourite for the night. He was graceful and skilful and the beautiful music would echo in my head for the rest of the night.

There were these 3 little Chinese boys who were tiny in size and looked no more than 5 years old who could flip, jump and leap high into the air. They were absolutely adorable and totally won my heart! I couldn’t have clapped any harder during their performance.

I can’t even begin to describe this show and I feel a bit duped that I didn’t go to see the other ones. If you have ever thought about going, this show is an experience and worth every cent!

9 comments:

lil_lamies said...

Happy Birthday Emily!

I loved Cirque too ems! I went on the opening night, and Mischa Barton was sitting close to me, I spent a lot of the night staring at her. But how cool were the half naked brothers flying on the ropes?

:)

Anonymous said...

happy bday!

Natasha said...

all the best birthday wishes ever thought by any person in the history world go out from me to you right now :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY EM! glad you got some time out to enjoy yourself, before you spontaneously combusted from being too busy!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated!!!

Wow it looks like you had a ball! When you are there next, you should try out the cane-juice with mint (iced)! IT's sooooo yum like OMIGAWSH hahah I wanted to try the Ethiopian food thingo too, but by the time we got there it was closing hehe oh well, next time eheh hope you had a super great birthday girlie!

Anonymous said...

hey there!!

hope i'm not scaring you but... i know you!! (in a sense) lol.. aside from occasionally checking back to your blog to see if you updated or not, my sister (kylie) is friends with sophia! =] lol and i also happen to live just a few streets away from you! (sophia told ky where you moved to)

anyways.. i digress! XD my sis also said varekai was great!! she bought me a ticket but i was busy so i didnt go =( now i wish i did go! haha!!

btw, happy belated 25th birthday for yesterday!!! you're now halfway to 50 and quater-ways to 3 digits!! jokes =p congrats on accomplishing so much by 25.. makes me want to do accomplish a lot too! hehe =)

PiCkLeS said...

Helen: I've been so busy that I really felt as though i was missing out on so much! going out and seeing all the food and smelling all the smells just made me feel alive!

Betty: it was all amazing but i still loved the dance in the net at the beginningthe most.

Eric: Thanks!

Matty: re: your sms I don't want to be part of a new demographic!!

Tash: I've tested it! even if you are bursting with being busy you can't physically combust! Thanks for the Bday wishes!

Becky: cae juice with mint? hm.. sounds like one of the cocktails i make with lychee, pineapple, midori and a bit of mint. After what Joe did for your birthday I told Jacky to have a look! *hint* *hint*

Bonnie: Hello! yeh Sophia has mentioned you before and I'm sure that I would have seen you when I dropped Sophia off for the formal at your house a few years ago. Freaky enough your dad is friends with my dad since before you were born and I use to watch our dads play soccer when I was young. Small world!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily

Happy Birthday! :)

We don't know one another, but I love reading your blog when you have all those restaurant reviews! Congrats on all that you've accomplished.. I hope i achieve a few like that before Im 25.

Just out of curiousity, what degree did you graduate from?

Tc!

Stacey.

Anonymous said...

oops! typo :/
*with=from
hehe :P

PiCkLeS said...

Stacey: Thanks! I did a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Human Resources and Industrial Relations and eCommerce which they now call Business info systems i think.